Granny flats have been around for many years, and are often used as a smart housing choice for grandparents or other family members. Granny flats have enjoyed resurgence in popularity during the past few years. This is due to a myriad of reasons, mostly practical in nature. Many states and territories in Australia support the building of granny flats as secondary dwellings. In fact, the New South Wales government has declared that granny flats add value and flexibility to a home.
Aside from being a popular way for many Australian families to accommodate elderly parents or relatives, granny flats are gaining a lot of new-found interest in Sydney and other Australian cities because it is a viable source of income.
Here are some other benefits of granny flats:
- For people who espouse tiny house living, granny flats provide a perfect solution to their dwelling needs. The dimensions of granny flats are ideal for people who have embraced the tiny house lifestyle, those who advocate sustainable, streamlined living.
- Granny flats are used for caregivers or nannies who work for families who have members who need constant care. This is a practical way for these care workers to be nearby just in case their assistance is needed or there is an emergency situation.
- Granny flats are used for young adult or teenage family members who need to live independently but do not want to be too far away from family support.
- Granny flats may be used to accommodate guests. It is an ideal facility especially for long-staying guests because they are able to go in and out of the dwelling as they please without disturbing the homeowners.
- Granny flats can be an additional source of income for the family when it is used as a rental unit. However, property owners should be very mindful of zoning laws which sometimes prohibit renting.
- Multi-generational living is becoming more prevalent and accepted in Sydney and in many major Australian cities. In fact, many builders consider this one of the main selling points of granny flats. When grandparents live within the property, they are able to reach out to their grandchildren and the family bond is strengthened.
- Having relatives or family members living in a granny flat nearby enable a more efficient and better use of resources that can be shared among family members. These resources include vehicles, rent, and utilities. Child care, lawn care, and home maintenance tasks can also be shared. This reduces living expenses.
- Granny flats are versatile and flexible. Homeowners have plenty of options when it comes to granny flat designs. In fact, they can choose as many designs as full-sized dwellings.
This is just a short list of the many benefits of granny flats. Many people are discovering the advantages of living in adjunct dwelling spaces. Due to a growing demand for self-contained dwellings within another property, many of developers and builders are offering practical designs that have the look and feel of fully appointed homes.